University of Goroka has its own Building and Maintenance team that consist of multi trades. The Building & Estates Division reports directly to the Vice Chancellor, Pro – Vice Chancellor planning and development and the Registrar (TMT).
The Division comprises of seven (7) departments. Each department has its own heads/supervisors reporting directly to the Director Building & Estates through the Works Supervisor. The team of men and women are involved in maintenance of the existing institutional facilities, assets and properties including general upkeep of the University’s environment. Here are the departments under the Division of Building & Estates;
• Deals with the allocation of Institutional houses and manage University rented properties through the University Housing Allocation Committee.
• Managing staff residential lease contracts of both institutional houses and rented properties in town.
• Advise the Central Administration (TMT) of Housing related matters.
• Advise the maintenance team of the required maintenance in institutional staff houses.
2. Carpentry & Joinery
• Deals with all maintenance and repairs work of academic facilities and staff residential houses.
• Responsible for building and installing book shelves, study desk, partitioning of office blocks and lecture rooms.
3. Electrical & Refrigeration
• Overseeing electricity supply on campus.
• Deals with repair and maintenance of electrical assets and appliance of both academic facilities and staff residential areas.
• Responsible for maintenance and repair of University’s plumbing system.
• Ensure University receives constant water supply.
• Monitoring and maintaining water pumps.
• Assist other maintenance team in areas of plumbing.
6. Painting & Sign Writing.
• Deals with painting jobs and sign writing.
• Assist other maintenance team to in areas of Painting & Sign Writing.
• Deals with painting of academic facilities and staff house.
7. Cleaning & Gardening.
• Responsible for the general upkeep of the lawns, gardens, academic facilities and office blocks.
• Assist other maintenance team to in areas of cleaning.
This Division also assist the University’s Division of Planning & Resource Management and the Top Management team by providing technical advice and part taking in the monitoring and evaluation on tendered projects.
Our staff at the Building and Estate section are very committed and hardworking as a team. Along with the day to day activities they contribute towards the preparation for regular University events activities such as the Graduation, schools forums and other major student activities.