The University of Goroka (UOG) offers a Doctor of Philosophy in most of the disciplines that are
offered at postgraduate level. Prospective students that wish to in pursuing doctoral studies can
contact the Director for Graduate Studies or the relevant Dean in a School. For Admission and
Program Regulations governing the Doctor of Philosophy are advised to consult or obtain the
University of Goroka Post Graduate Studies Handbook and consult the appropriate section of the
The degree of Doctor of Philosophy is offered in all Schools. A person interested in taking up
doctoral studies may consult the relevant School Dean or Director, Post Graduate Studies.
• Degree of Master or a Bachelor with First Class Honors or equivalent from a Senaterecognized institution shall be eligible to apply to register as a student of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
• Applications should be made to the Chair of Post Graduate Studies Admissions and should include the details required by the prescribed form for Application for doctoral studies and a research proposal.
• The Application, upon receipt, will be registered and forwarded to the relevant School Post Graduate Studies for a recommendation to the Senate or its delegate. A recommendation for registration to doctoral studies must include the proposed name(s) of one or more supervisors.
• Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy, upon admission will be registered provisionally for six months. Students, within the six months will be required to develop and prepare their thesis. At the end of that period Senate or its delegate - to confirm or cancel the student’s candidature - will review the prepared work.
• A student’s candidature will commence, if the review is confirmed, from the commencement of admission.
• All other Regulations regarding the Doctor of Philosophy candidature can be found in the UOG Post Graduate Studies Handbook.
400 - 430 credit points to graduate with Doctor of Philosophy.
The prerequisite for PhD students majoring in in teaching and teacher education are as follows:
ETAECS/ECU/ELM/ELB ELH803 - Research Project
ETAECS/ECU/ELM/ELB ELH802 - Research Theories and Approaches (Optional)
ETAECS/ECU/ELM/ELB ELH803 - Research Seminars
The research project topic courses at this level can be under Teaching and Teacher Education; Curriculum studies; and Educational Leadership and Management.